HarperDB is looking for an experienced DevOps Engineer who will help deliver HarperDB to the world. This involves working closely with our developers, owning and improving our CI/CD pipelines, expanding and improving our SaaS product, HarperDB Cloud. This position reports to the Director of DevOps, and as part of the larger engineering team, you will work to ensure that HarperDB continues to deliver an innovative product to the market.
Candidates don't need to have experience with all the duties and skills listed below, but this is a senior engineer position, so the expectation is that this person can quickly get oriented and start making meaningful contributions.
Architect and deliver HarperDB Cloud
- Along with Cloud Platform Software Developers, lead the design, deployment, and maintenance of our global multi-cloud SaaS offering
- Make significant improvements to HarperDB Cloud with an emphasis on automation, security, reliability, performance, and scalability
Assist the developers that build HarperDB, and release HarperDB to the world
- Build and maintain continuous integration and continuous delivery pipelines that:
- Automate the testing of code
- Automate the creation of packages, container images, and machine images for release
- Help with ad-hoc testing by deploying to various types of cloud and infrastructure
- Be a welcoming and trusted resource for questions and problems related to cloud, infrastructure, and Linux
Be experts at deploying HarperDB
- Understand and document deployment factors that can influence HarperDB performance, such as cloud/infrastructure architecture, server/storage types, Linux and network configuration
- Understand and document the requirements and methods for deploying HarperDB
- Develop a library of infrastructure-as-code examples that our customers will use to deploy HarperDB in various ways
This position, as part of the larger software and DevOps engineering team, may include on-call duties. Specifically, acting as a top-tier escalation point for the support team.
- Cloud architecture, deployment, and operations
- Experience building and operating SaaS at a large scale and across multiple cloud providers is a plus
- Infrastructure-as-Code (IaC) tools such as Terraform, AWS CloudFormation, or others
- Linux containers, Docker, and container orchestration tools such as Kubernetes
- Visibility and monitoring tools and methods
- CI/CD tools such as Jenkins, CircleCi, GitHub Actions, or others
- Basic Linux and network administration
- Git version control
- Bash/shell scripting
- Node.js or Python development experience is a plus
- Serverless application development, such as AWS Lambda, experience is a plus
- A genuine interest in DevOps, automation, cloud, and Linux
- Dedicated to automating away toil
- Embraces feedback, continual learning, experimentation
- Pragmatic, not dogmatic
HarperDB is a distributed database focused on making developers' lives easier while delivering easy to use tools that help reduce global data latency. We are primarily focused on Gaming, Media, and E-Commerce use cases, but also work with customers in other areas.
We highly value transparency, focus, accountability, and kindness in our team. We try our best to be good humans. We work very hard but also believe strongly in supporting a healthy work-life harmony. We value creativity and flexibility of thinking. We believe in finding good people and helping them grow in their careers. We are mainly in the Denver area but have teammates spread out across the US.
Some qualities we look for in HarperDB team members:
- Understands it’s a marathon not a sprint
- Aligned with and embodies our core values - Transparency, Authenticity, Focus, and Empowerment
- Aligned with and believes in company vision and strategy
- Strong sense of personal accountability
- Values process, but not when it gets in the way of execution
- Empowers peers and team over personal success
- Focused on success of company, not only themselves
- Able to equally give, receive and accept feedback
- Ability to have challenging conversations in a constructive manner
- Knows that perfect is the enemy of good
- Is able to be transparent even when it's uncomfortable
HarperDB is experiencing massive growth, which is fun and exciting but also intense. We are still very much a startup, with a startup culture. This gives team members a lot of flexibility and room for growth, but also means we sometimes lack the structure of a larger organization.
If you are not scared away yet we would love to see your resume!